All you need to know to install and use ePubcheck on a GNU/Linux environment !
- Download the last version : https://github.com/IDPF/epubcheck/releases
- Extract in /opt/epubcheck (or anywhere you like)
- Create a file epubcheck wihtin your PATH with the following lines :
#!/bin/sh java -jar /opt/epubcheck/epubcheck.jar $1
In order to add ePubcheck to your PATH :
- Edit your .bashrc file and add the following (here with the epubcheck bin file being in the User directory) :
PATH=$PATH:/home/user/ export PATH
- Export the new $PATH variable to the environment :
$ source ~/.bashrc
- Test your settings :
$ epubcheck -help When running this tool, the first argument should be the name (with the path) of the file to check. If checking a non-epub file, the epub version of the file must be specified using -v and the type of the file using -mode. The default version is: 3.0. Modes and versions supported: -mode opf -v 2.0 // For single OPF file validation (EPUB 2) -mode opf -v 3.0 // For single OPF file validation (EPUB 3) -mode xhtml -v 2.0 // For single XHTML file validation (EPUB 2) -mode xhtml -v 3.0 // For single XHTML file validation (EPUB 3) etc.
- Well done ! You can now use the epubcheck command on a single file :
$ epubcheck myfile.epub Epubcheck Version 3.0.1 Validating against EPUB version 2.0 ERROR: 9782092542422.epub/OEBPS/content.ncx(19,44): assertion failed: playOrder sequence has gaps ...
- Or on several files in any directory, and even copy the output to a text file :
$ for z in path/*.epub; do epubcheck $z; done &> log.txt