For those used to Photoshop (and I was one of them), here comes a few hint to configure the powerful GIMP and quickly find your way.
1. Manual configuration
This most useful post on Lifehacker will guide you through the main steps:
- Load the photoshop keyboard shortcuts from file
- Install the Layer via copy plugin
- Change the rules for snapping through the gimprc file
- Disable the ‘show layer boundary’ option
- Configure Move tool like in Photoshop
2. The lazy complete configuration set
This being said, take a look at this DeviantArt page where Doctormo gives a complete pre-configured ~/.gimp-2.8 folder.The pack includes a theme to make GIMP look like Photoshop through a nice iconset. The result is as impressive as helpful.
You may want to backup your own folder first, then extract the archive to your personal folder. Restart Gimp.