[Post update] How to easily generate a photo montage from an image collection, in command line (yes, of course in command line)? You’ll have to install ImageMagick, which should be – just saying – the first soft installed on any desktop. It will allow you to perform any kind of image manipulation through command lines. The goal here is to automatically generate a thumbnails gallery from images approximately of the same proportions (for a more balanced render) but various dimensions.
First step, install ImageMagick (available on all environments):
$ sudo apt-get install imagemagick
You are now able to use the montage command, designed to produce an array of thumbnail images. Let’s start simple:
$ montage [input.ext] [output.Ext]
$ montage input_01.jpg input_02.png input_03.jpg output.jpg
Which could be shortened, if every images of your input folder are to be used:
$ montage *.* montage.jpg
This is the basic manipulation.
You can use IM’s wide range of options to refine your montage, here with examples:
- -tile 5×2: tiles display, [nb of colums x nb of rows]. If the number of images is superior to the maximum number of tiles available, several montages will be created.
- -geometry 75×120+2+2: tiles size and margins, [width x height + horizontal margin + vertical margin]. By default tiles are 120×120.
- -resize 75×120! will resize your images ignoring the aspect ratio
- -resize 75×120> will only resize the images larger than the input.
- -resize 75x will resize your image to 75px width preserving ratio.
- -background “#cecece”: specify background color or transparency
- -background none: use with a .png output if you don’t wish any background
- -bordercolor “#dedede”: border color in hexadecimal
- -border 2 : border width in pixel
Now, two quick examples of these commands: the first one for my occasional discs articles, the second one for a book covers montage which required a different tiling display. In both case I don’t use the -tile option, add one according to your total number of images (-tile 5×2).
# discs $ montage *.* -geometry 200x200+2+2! -tile 5x2 -background none -border 2 -bordercolor black disc_montage.png
# book covers $ montage *.* -geometry 160x240+2+4 -resize 160x240! -tile 5x2 -background black books_montage.jpg
- IM montage : http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/
- IM all options : http://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-options.php